Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Sand pipers with driftwood




For this project we started with newspaper and aluminum foil armatures. Then, students used Crayola Model Magic to cover and shape the birds. Finally, while the kids chose pieces of driftwood, I drilled holes for armature wire legs and beaks.  Everything went well, I just had to take them home to put some glue in the leg joints for support.

Monday, July 22, 2013

Snorkeling Self-portraits

Today marks the beginning of "Oceans and Sea World" week at camp.  One of the projects we started today was Underwater/Snorkeling Self-Portraits and they were so much fun.  I had the students trace a template to get a good-sized head with pencil, then we quickly switched to oil pastels, which were a hit.  We outlined our SCUBA suits in black before starting in on facial features.  My oil pastels are sorted by color into "hot," "cool," and "neutral" containers that I let them hunt through.



The students used handheld mirrors to see how big their eyes were and how far apart.  After this step, I let them have free reign over what they drew next.  I encouraged them to keep looking at their faces for reference.  We also talked about what our hair does underwater and looked at images for examples.   

The last step we got done today was adding the snorkel masks. These were cut out with a template that I made before hand and glued on.  Tomorrow I am hoping to have them complete their work with a background, using different values of blue tissue paper.  

Thursday, July 18, 2013

More gelatin monoprints

I took some quick phone pics of some of my monoprints from yesterday.  A few are a little blurry, but I think they're still pretty fun to look at.  

 
The two above are negative and positive images taken from the same plate. 

We experimented with some two-toned, dare I say, "ombré" ink rolls.  


The one on the left looks like a drawing to me, and the detail in the positive image is pretty cool...

This one feels sciency/ very biological.

This is the print and paper combination we started with.  Love the gold-wish we'd had silver.  

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Gelatin Printing Pond Foliage

Bunch of new printmakers and lots of beautiful images created today!

We used a lesson based on something from Art Lab for Kids and Cassie Stephens' tips and techniques that were very helpful.  It's important to make your gelatin very dense--use several packets per tray and your gelatin plate will last longer.

pulling a print

inking up a brayer to load the printing plate.

This is a sample of the positive image that is left on the gelatin plate after the first print is lifted.  A second piece of paper can then be placed back on the plate to print.  

Monday, July 15, 2013

Weaving with Crocodiles


So there it is.  What can you make with just paper and scissors? A crocodile, duh!

I don't think you need a tutorial for this one!

Thursday, July 11, 2013

River Otter for CSA

One of the projects I have planned for "Streams, Brooks, Rivers, and Ponds" week at the Community School of the Arts.

To make the paper, I followed the instructions for shaving cream marbling with liquid watercolors that I found here:  http://www.elementaryartfun.blogspot.com/2011/08/marbleized-peacock.html

The only difference was the adding/mixing of brown into the shaving cream BEFORE applying blobs of marbling colors--I thought it helped tone down the contrast and give more of a "river/pond" feel.

I used two pieces of watercolor paper and pulled three marbled prints off the same tray of shaving cream--first, I did the brown, to which I added a drop or two of turquoise paint, and then I did two half-pieces of paper with cool colors on the brown background.  Then I tore the pages and collaged them together.  I also have a worksheet on "how to draw an otter portrait" that I need to scan still.  I am excited about my lesson!!